Thursday, June 22, 2006

Elephant apples,anyone?

 

Until yesterday,I'd never heardOf Elephant apples (dillenia indica),much less seen one!
(It's amazing what turns up at quilting groups isn't it!)
Anyway,Ann had some elephant apples to share,plus a recipe for making jelly from the fruit.
Needless to say,I had to try them,didn't I?
First up,a Google search revealed that officially they do exist and are known by various names ranging from Chulta (Indonesia) to wood apple,monkey apple and indeed elephant apple and that the trees grow to 50 foot in height.


Anyway I thought I'd share a pic with you...the matchbox in the foreground is for size comparison,and the fruits weighs between 500 and 750 gms.
I can understand why Ann says they don't park their car under the tree when it's in fruit......imagine the panel beaters bill!
Okay I'm now off the chop and cook.....will check in after the jelly-making exercise Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

ForestJane said...

But what do they taste like? Are they crisp and hard like an apple, pear? A big seed like a peach or plum? Oily like an avocado pear?

Maureen said...

Couldn't find an email addie to reply to ForestJane:
You would NOT want to attempt eating an elephant apple!
Texture is like stringy green timber!
Cutting them up for jelly making requires the man of steel AND a butcher's cleaver (at least!) If you've ever eaten guavas,the jelly has that sort of 'after-taste'.My camera had died so I can not cut an 'apple'to show interior,sorry